top of page

After 10 years of piloting hot air balloons, Seth decided it was time to start training a new generation of balloon pilots. He obtained his Pilot Instructor rating in early 2017 and is currently accepting new students.

Seth began training his first student pilot in 2017 and has now assisted multiple new pilots in getting their hot air balloon licenses!


Before committing to an undertaking of this size, we recommend booking a flight with us to ensure that this is the sport for you. We would also welcome the opportunity to have you crew with us for several flights to help you gain a further understanding of how hot air ballooning works and what is involved.​

The full Transport Canada licensing requirements may be viewed at Part IV, Personal Licensing and Training of the Canadian Aviation Regulations - 421.25.


If you'd like to purchase your own balloon to train on, please let us know. We would be more than happy to assist you in finding the right system for you. We have the experience needed to help you buy and import a balloon, if necessary.

Training Flight.jpg


The minimum requirements to obtain a Canadian Balloon Pilot License:

  • at least 17 years of age

  • a Category III aviation medical

  • a minimum of 16 hours of practical flight training (includes solo time) within 24 months before applying for your license

  • 10 hours of ground school training (regulations, weather, navigation, aircraft airworthiness)

  • 2 written exams (PSTAR and PIBAL) completed within 12 months before applying for your license


  • The cost! To obtain your license is approximately $8,000 if you don't have your own equipment.

  • Equipment. The list of required equipment is a long one, and not a cheap one. You will need a hot air balloon to build your hours with, as well as all the necessary items like an inflation fan, pickup truck/SUV, small trailer, navigation and radio communication, etc.

  • Crew. Ballooning is NOT a solo sport. You will need dedicated ground crew whom you trust. 

  • Maintenance. Once you own a certificated aircraft, you are held to Transport Canada's standard for inspections and maintenance. This is an annual requirement, and comes with it's own expense.

  • Insurance costs.

bottom of page